Friday, August 12, 2011

Cool Ranch Chicken Casserole

We were 12 when we met.  She walked up to me in the junior high gym and the rest is history.  I am who I am in large part due to her.  I wouldn't be married to my husband if not for her.  And I wouldn't have tired this recipe if not for her.  She really needs a food blog.  Almost everyday she posts her menu on facebook.  Everything always sounds great, and this recipe was no exception.  She's an expert Texas cook.  What is Texas cooking?  Taste comes before nutrition, and Texas cooks are not so snobby that they won't use crushed up Doritos in a recipe.  There's no pretentiousness.  If it tastes good, we eat it.  And as you will notice in the recipe, we're not great with measurement.  If in doubt, taste it and add more if needed.  Who wants to mess with washing measuring spoons? 

1lb package of chicken breasts cooked and shredded
sharp cheddar cheese grated
16 oz container sour cream
1 can cream of what ever you like
1 jar of salsa ( I used salsa verde)
spices to taste (dried onion, dried garlic, salt, pepper, whatever)
Cool Ranch Doritos


Mix chicken, sour cream, cream of ?, spices, and salsa (I used about half of a jar of salsa).  Layer half of the chicken mixture in a 9x12 casserole pan.  Top with cheese.  Top that with a few hand fulls of crushed Doritos.  Repeat layers.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.    The top layer of chips and cheese will be crunchy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment